Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bon Voyage!

In two weeks I will begin a four-month voyage around the world! I will be one of the two librarians on the Fall 2012 Semester at Sea voyage. I am fully aware of what a blessing this opportunity is. I am not placing any expectations on the trip, but I would be surprised if this wasn't a life changing experience. I am going to 14 countries and even more cities, all of which I have never seen before. The shipboard life, a college campus on a ship, is incredibly unique. I am excited about the adventures ahead of me. I may be more than slightly anxious, but who wouldn't be with a once in a lifetime experience only days away. Pretty soon my daily routine is going to be shockingly altered, as I will find myself on a canal ride through Amsterdam, on a camel in the Sahara desert on my way to sleep in a nomad tent, sitting around a fire in Ghana listening to African drumming and folktales, and on a riverboat deep in the Amazon jungle. I look forward to sharing my experiences and giving thanks to God for the trip of a lifetime. Talk to you soon, and please keep Barack Obama in the White House for when I return, otherwise I may decide to stay in Belgium and eat chocolate and drink coffee all day. Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Yay, it will be fun following your adventures and living vicariously through you as you travel the world by sea! We'll do our part over here in the states this Fall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only reason anyone should be on a boat is if they're discovering something

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are people, unnamed, in high echelon positions that I could call at this moment and tell them to nullify... uh, the uh, JRP Semester at Sea.

    ReplyDelete